With over 130,000 people taking part in Dry January we thought we’d share our favourite mocktail recipes you can make with fresh herbs grown in your Urban Cultivator!
Grapefruit & Thyme Mocktail
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 3 1/3 cups sparkling water cold
- 1/2 cup thyme syrup
- 1 1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Add sugar and water to a pot and bring to the boil. Switch back to a low heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Add the thyme and cover with the syrup. Allow to steep for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
- Remove the thyme. Pour the syrup into a glass with a lid and refrigerate. Use within 1-2 weeks.
- Fill ice cubes into glasses. Add 2 tablespoons thyme syrup to each glass and fill up with 1/3 cup grapefruit juice and approximately 3/4 cup sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of grapefruit and some thyme. Enjoy ice cold.
Lemon Basil Spritzer
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- 2 lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup or 4-5 drops liquid stevia
- 3/4 cup cold sparkling water
- basil leaves or lemon wedges for garnish
- place a few basil leaves and 2 lemon wedges in bottom of glass, muddle, crushing the lemon wedges and basil together
- Add lemon juice and either simple syrup or stevia drops, and muddle more. Then pour tonic water into glass.
- Add a few ice cubes, and garnish with additional basil and lemon wedges if desired.
Honey, Blackberry and Sage Refresher
- 8 fresh blackberries plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup honey
- 10 fresh sage leaves plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup ginger beeer or ginger ale
- 2 cup seltzer water divided
- In a cocktail shaker, mix together the blackberries, honey, and sage until well mixed. If necessary, add ice to help mash together the ingredients.
- Add the lime juice and ginger beer, cover, and shake to mix.
- Strain the mixture into two glasses with ice.
- Top off each glass with 1 cup of seltzer.
- Garnish with blackberries and sage leaves then, serve.
Lemon Balm Spritzer
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup lemon balm, lightly packed
- lime or lemon slices
- 2 cups cold sparkling water
- Mix the nectar (or honey) and warm water until combined.
- Add lime/lemon juice, and 1 cup cold water. Mix well.
- Crush lemon balm and add to mixture. Using a muddle or wooden spoon handle, smash lemon balm in bottom of pitcher. Add lime/lemon slices and refrigerate mixture until chilled (about an hour).
- Once chilled, add 2 cups of cold sparkling water. Stir.
- Pour through a strainer into individual glasses over crushed ice.
- Garnish beverages with lemon balm leaves and citrus slices
Sorrel Vanilla Mocktail
- 4 Tbsp Sorrel syrup (can make this with your fresh sorrel, heating with sugar)
- 2 Cup (480 ml) Sparkling water
- ½ Lime, juiced
- 1 Tsp Real vanilla extract (optional but recommended)
- Sorrel to serve
- Ice to serve
- Divide all of the ingredients between 2 tumblers.
- Stir well.
- Serve and enjoy!